Engine rebuild recommendations...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Oakley

Reaction score
As per my other post (Dormobile disaster), can anybody recommend a reliable company/person to rebuild my engine? I would do a complete stripdown myself, but simply don't have the time and I want to get back on the road ASAP! I have decided to do a full rebuild to be on the safe side!

I used to use John Hassall at JH Aircooled in South Staffordshire, but he seems to have moved on or sold up.

Any recommendations of where to go or who to avoid would be grately appreciated!

Ta!
Rich.

If your not looking for a stateside option, your best bet would be to buy a new mexico one or a VEGE one which is slightly cheaper but still really good quailty. 8)

If you are still in any doubt, then you could contact Jase @ Interpro he will give you a competitive quote 8) their just outside Bristol and their phone number is 01454412777.

Or you could use the dude John Maher. See here - http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/

8)

id go for a new one(but then i would say that :wink: ),mine cost £950 and came in 2 days

from gsf

Hi Rich, sorry to hear about your engine. The engine in the fastback I bought of you has recently deceased :( and it looks like I'm going to get The Engine Shop (ad in Volksworld) to rebuild the original engine for me. They seem to be very reasonably priced and offer a 12,000 mile or 1 year warranty. I've not heard any horror stories about them ( maybe there'll be a deluge now :? )

bananacustard said:
Hi Rich, sorry to hear about your engine. The engine in the fastback I bought of you has recently deceased :( and it looks like I'm going to get The Engine Shop (ad in Volksworld) to rebuild the original engine for me. They seem to be very reasonably priced and offer a 12,000 mile or 1 year warranty. I've not heard any horror stories about them ( maybe there'll be a deluge now :? )

Sorry to hear about your engine too! That's very surprising considering the mileage, but I suppose it's the same with my bus!

Thanks everybody for the recommendations. I have done some phoning around and got recommendations from other places too. I will also be using the engine shop for my rebuild.

Thanks everybody.

Rich.

um hold on, didnt the engine shop supply engines to big boys toys?

If so, stay away, far away. i bought an engine from them and it kept dropping valves, had so much trouble with them i eventually went to another place who were a lot better.

they go by the name of elitevw (http://www.elitevw.co.uk/), they are very helpful and know their stuff and their prices are (at lest they were) very reasonable.

I heard Big Boys Toys were bought out but not sure about the engine shop.

I suspected the Engine Shop were what built the old Volkspares engines, who in turn supplied Big Boys Toys ...... :?

Big Boys Toys is now owned by the Street Style and Power/VW Heritage conglomorate.

Latest posts